- Which is better suited to cast iron radiators, thermostatic or manual valves?
Manual valves are designed to be either on or off. They are not well suited to controlling the output of a radiator. Manual valves were the only valves available years ago. Most plumbers will recommend thermostatic valves so that the radiator output can be adjusted. This also saves energy. There is one place a thermostatic valve should never be used. That is in the same room as the central heating controller. The controller is usually a small box on the wall in the hall or living room with a dial on it marked in degrees Centigrade.
- What is a bleed valve?
An air vent (also called a bleed valve) is a small valve, which enables air that has accumulated at the top of a radiator to be let out or from the radiator using a tool called an air vent key. All our central heating radiators will have an bleed valve/air vent, which will be sent out with the radiator, and will be fitted as part of the installation. Bleed/Vent keys are not included as standard, but can be purchased from a plumber's merchants or a home improvement store. When first filling the system it is air that is vented, the periodic venting of system is actually releasing hydrogen which is the by product of rusting in the system. If regular bleeding is required it is a strong indication that the system is lacking corrosion inhibitor.
- How do I bleed a radiator?
Bleeding a radiator means getting rid of any air that has accumulated at the top of your radiator, using the air vent/bleed valve. Ideally a periodic check at least once a year for air accumulation in your radiators is good practice. Bleed keys (vent keys) can be purchased from a plumber's merchants or home improvement store. The need to bleed your radiators much more frequently than this is an indication of a problem with your system and you should consult your plumber. To bleed a radiator, which is a simple process:
- Both valves at the bottom of the radiator should be open;
- Attach the bleed key/vent key onto the bleed valve/air vent at the top of the radiator;
- Unscrew the air vent and have a cloth ready to catch any water that will appear;
- Listen for the change in sound from a hissing noise (the sound of air escaping), to a steady squirt of water. At this point you can tighten the air vent.
- Do you deliver?
We can deliver to anywhere in the UK, for other destinations beyond mainland UK we will give you a quotation.
- Can you supply touch up paint?
- Yes! Each radiator in its unique finish is sent with a touch up pot, of course we couldn't put full polish in a touch up pot.
- Do you buy old cast iron radiators?
- Yes we do. Please send us an email with pictures attached of the radiator/s you have for sale, contact information and where you are in the country. We will then look at the pictures and let you know if we would be interested in purchasing them and for how much. Please refer to the contact page for details on contacting us.
- How long will my radiator take?
- This all depends on how busy we are, Generally around 2weeks.
- Why is it cheaper to buy a second hand cast iron radiator online or at reclamation yard?
- It may seem like a good idea to source your own second hand un-tested radiators from e-bay or one of the many reclamation yards however, whilst this can prove successful, there is a very high element of risk in that the cast iron radiators you are buying may not have been handled by people who know what they are doing and appreciate how fragile a cast iron radiator is. This can result in damage which will not be obvious until they are put onto your system at home or through the pressure testing procedure when they frequently turn out to be leaking at the joints or even cracked sections. Very expensive scrap for the person buying them.
- My original Cast Iron Radiators may be broken, as they are leaking can they be repaired and restored to their original working condition?
- We can restore both original and reproduction cast iron radiators. If they are leaking or have a damaged section broken seals and sections can be replaced.
- My Cast Iron Radiators are reproductions, can they still be restored?
- We can restore reproduction Cast Iron Radiators, as well as original ones.